Authority to fly Camera-Equipped Model Aircraft.
This document relates to any model, not just multi-copters, which has a camera or video installed and is used for the purpose of obtaining images whilst flying on Epsom Downs. Please note that flying FPV equipped models on Epsom Downs continues to be prohibited.
The Epsom & Ewell Council’s Legal Department has been consulted by the Conservators about camera-equipped model aircraft being flown on the Downs. They have no objection to their use as long as all model aircraft flown comply with Articles 241, 94 & 95 of the Civil Aviation, Air Navigation Order.
Camera Equipped Model Aircraft
Articles 241 and 94 of the Air Navigation Order apply to ALL model aircraft. The addition of a camera to a model makes that model a “Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft” (SUSA) and Article 95 must also be complied with. You must have read and understood the detail contained within all three Articles.
Article 95 Civil Aviation Air Navigation Order
Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft
(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.
(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft that is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.
Authority to fly a camera-equipped model on Epsom Downs will be granted by the Committee on receipt of a completed declaration form. You may not fly until the EDMAC Committee has approved your application in writing.
Please download, complete and return the declaration to a committee member. Please retain the signed copy in your flight box or on your person whenever you fly a SUSA. All other EDMAC Club Rules continue to apply.